Need to know

Find all important information that you need to know about working and staying in Thailand

Notification of staying in the Kingdom of Thailand over 90 days

If you are an alien staying in Thailand for more than three consecutive months, you must report to your local Thai immigration office every 90 days. The 90-day reporting in Thailand is not an extension of your Thai visa. It is just to register your address in Thailand.

The 90-day rule applies to any consecutive number of days you stay in Thailand. If you leave the country, the 90-day cycle begins again from the date you re-enter Thailand. You must also report at the immigration office that has jurisdiction over the area in which you live.

There is no fee for the 90-day reporting in Thailand, unless you are late in which case there is a fine of 2,000 baht that rises to a maximum of 5,000 baht if you are arrested. However, travelling to the immigration centre can be a major inconvenience, depending on where you live. It is also a seemingly pointless exercise in bureaucracy, especially as Thai immigration doesn’t make any money out of it.

Procedure and notification

  1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.

  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Offices accepting notification:

  1. Immigration offices throughout the country

  2. For foreigners who residing in Bangkok contact at Immigration Division1 Office, Chalermprakiat Government Complex,Chaengwattana Rd., Laksi ,Bangkok

  3. For foreigners carrying out duties relating to the specific law : Immigration Act , Proleum Act / Board of Investment Act / Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act. contact at sub-division 3 Visa extension units, Chamchuree Square Building, Floor 18 , Phatumwan, Bangkok.

  4. For special Labor of three Nationalities Laos , Cambodia and Myanmar residing in Bangkok contact at Major Hollywood Susawad 1st Floor or Imperial Ladproaw 5th Floor

Notification by registered mail

  1. Photocopy of passport pages with following pages
    - front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.
    - current visa
    - last entry stamp of immigration
    - last extension of visa

  2. Photocopy of departure card TM.6

  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)

  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47 (Don't forget to sign name.)

  5. Envelope with 10 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.

  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner. 
    Send the mail before the renewal date 15 days to Immigration office

Notice :
- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.
- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.
- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.
- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. (You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)
- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt. 


  • The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.

  • If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

  • If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.